041: 3 Ways to Grow Your Email List Faster and Cheaper

In this episode about List Building for Coaches, we talk about ‘3 Ways to Grow Your Email List Faster and Cheaper’.

These 3 tips will help you get better quality leads onto your list more affordably.

Topics this episode…

>> Qualifying Your Leads

>> Segmenting Your List

>> Creating a Quiz as a Lead Magnet

>> Creating a Mini-Course as a Lead Magnet

>> Boosting Results with Lead Ads from Facebook/IG

Episode Links and Mentions:

>> Interact Quiz Builder

>> Lead Ads

>> 10 Steps to Getting More Leads from Your Website and Blog

 Did you Enjoy this Episode?

Subscribe to this Podcast Here

NEXT STEP?

Are you setting up your online coaching business?

Need help getting your online coaching business set up and your marketing in ship shape?

Book your free call here

Full Transcript

Hello, thank you very much for joining me today. We are going to talk about how to grow your email list. And it’s not just about how to grow your email list. It is very specifically for coaches and we’re going to talk about the three fastest ways you can build your email list, but not all email subscribers are built the same, not all email subscribers are.

The same. So today we’re going to talk very specifically about those things that are going to help us find really high-quality people to get on our email list. One of the biggest problems a lot of people have been experiencing lately is that Facebook ads have become more expensive. And as you probably already know, Facebook ads have been one of the ways in which a lot of people are boosting their freebies.

To put their content in front of people to grow their email list. Now this has become more expensive and a lot of people have turned to lead ads or simpler ways of reaching more people, which unfortunately has been creating a place where we’re getting much lower quality leads on our emails. But today’s episode is going to help you resolve the problem because by creating the right freebie and putting it in front of the right people, you can resolve this problem.

You can still keep your costs low. And again, you don’t necessarily have to use Facebook ads. We’re going to talk about this towards the end of the episode. But most of all, if you have the right kind of content, you are going to get the right kind of leads. That’s. By your coaching that will buy your programs, that’s will register for your group programs, participate in your challenges when you’re launching, they are going to be the right kind of.

So let’s dive right in and talk about the first one. Now the first type of freebie, which I absolutely love. I have, in fact, very recently launched my very own after working with clients who are launching their own and had fantastic results. And this is the quiz.

It allows you to really ask quite a few questions to your prospects and you know, of course, you’ve got to make them fun because they have to enjoy it, but it really allows you to. I get quite a lot of information about this prospect about this person that is interested in your topic. So automatically you are dealing with people who are interested in what you do, and you’re going to be able to segment them.

So you’re going to be able to put them based on their answers. You’re going to be able to put them in the right place on your email list so you can send them more relevant content because of course, that is extremely important for conversion. And you’re also going to be able to, filter them in a way that allows you to qualify a lead.

Now, if you haven’t heard this term before qualifying a lead means simply sort of ticking those boxes that make this person a good prospective client. So let’s take an example. For instance, if you are a sales coach that works with. Your ideal client will probably be a coach. It would be someone who doesn’t have enough sales.

It would be someone who is maybe in their first two to three years of business, you know? So you have all these things that describe your ideal client. So you, what you can do with a quiz is you can actually. Use these questions in your actual quiz. So you can ask them how long they’ve been in business.

You can ask them whether they like selling or not. You can ask them, you know, whether they’re being successful with their sales, you can ask them what they have. For instance, if they’re using any particular sales tools, so you can really profile your clients quite well. And you can take those boxes that make them a qualified lead.

And then especially if you use interact, which is the tool that I have found recently, I’ve used it with my clients and I found it really, really good. I will actually link it in the show notes. If you use the right tool, you can actually connect it to your email list and put people in the different groups in your email list based on their own.

So this is really, really valuable. So what this does is it really sort of takes away the heavy lifting from the advert, because let’s say I have an ad again, I’m a sales coach for coaches, so I’m running my ads to coaches and maybe similar service providers, but it is actually my quiz that is doing the filtering for.

Which puts me in a fantastic position. So this of course is going to allow you to maybe run lead ads and get a cheaper cost per lead. But it’s also going to allow you to then further look at your leads and definitely put aside and segment those that are really strong leads and are perhaps ready to come.

The other leads that I may be a bit cold and not ready to convert. You can be very clear with them. What kind of content you’re going to send them? If they don’t like that, they’d probably unregistered right away. The ones that do stay on your list, you can then send them your weekly information. And you can slowly maybe get them to register for your podcast or follow your blog every week.

And you can keep nurturing them every single week with additional new content. So that will allow you to then warm them up and an invite them to your next free training, or maybe your next webinar, where you sell your one-on-one coaching and you can keep them alive and keep them warming up within your orbit.

The second one. So that was the. The second one. And it’s something that has been around for a long, long time is the free mini-course. Now every mini-course is, has a big promise. It promises quality. It promises a lot of different things. So as a person creating a free training for your ideal clients, also puts you in a great business.

Because if you know your ideal client well, and in fact, I do not recommend this kind of freebie if you don’t know your ideal client. Well, because it does take quite a lot of work. So you do want to kind of try to start off with something that takes a little bit less work. If you have multiple ideas, start off with checklists of PDFs and then move to the free mini-course later, when you have validated the kind of content that your audience is looking.

But the mini-course. So this is what he can do. So you can actually take this approach is the simplest one. You have one of two options. The simplest one is promise the same thing. That’s your coaching promises. So if you’re getting promises to make people happier, your mini course should be happiness goals or you know how to find happiness or how to understand why you’re not happy.

It can do one of two things. It can either make exactly the same promise as. Or potentially it could also teach them well, they need to know in order to be ready to buy from you say you’re a marketing strategist. You’re teaching people. Like in my case, inbound marketing people would ideally have a website before they start working with me.

So one of my mini courses might be teaching people how to actually build their way. Another way of doing this as well is, you know, sometimes maybe you have people, especially with life coaching, maybe your audience, it’s not that they don’t understand what you did. So they are kind of ready to buy, but maybe they don’t yet have the belief that they can do what you’re going to help them do.

So maybe, you know, maybe they want to lose weight. Maybe they will improve their life. Maybe they want a divorce, but they’ve been procrastinating. What’s going to happen. What’s going to happen is that you are going in this mini course. You’re going to kind of make them the same promise that you’re coaching the livers.

And then you’re going to work on convincing them that they can do this with your. So very often, it’s a matter of getting people where they are teaching them that little bit extra information that they need to come closer to buying your program, to really convince them that it’s the right thing for them.

And of course, you also want to add things that are going to weed out the ones that are not a good match for your program, because you don’t want to convince everybody. You only want to convince the right. Because of course, it just sort of becomes a whole cycle. You want to work with people who are going to get good results.

It’s going to be a feel good for you. There’s going to be a feel good for them. It’s going to be good for your business because you’re going to get testimonials. So you always want to make sure that there is a certain level of transparency and authenticity. Although that word is really overused, but there is a certain level of transparency where, you know, you mean well, and you’re really giving them this information because you want to help them.

So the next step and take the right decision with the right information. And of course, you also want to give them the confidence that they can do this. This is extremely important because without the confidence that they can do this, they’re not going to buy. So working on your prospect’s confidence is going to help them.

Then, you know, take that little step of maybe booking the discovery call with you. And it’s extremely important that you ask sell your mini course should not just be. I mean, it goes, it also needs to have your call to action. It needs to have a description of what they can do next, or they should do next, whether your help or perhaps even without your help, but you know, how are they going to go to the next level?

And of course, that is where again, you’re going to do a little bit more filtering and filter the ones that are ready to talk to you and jump with you on it. Discovery. So once again, it’s an important part of your funnel and you should definitely make sure that you close it in the end last, but not least.

It has potentially more of a way of kind of strategy than actually a way of building your email list. But very often this is something that a lot of new coaches do not understand. And this is why I’m a big believer that new coaches should not be building their email list. It should not be their main focus.

It should be their secondary focus and by secondary focus, I mean that you should be using things like blog and social media distribution to build your reputation on your authority to become. And to get to book your discovery. Cause, and then as kind of a side goal, you could also have maybe a popup on your sites that appears for all those people who are leaving your site.

So those who have already booked your session, great. Those who haven’t might actually jump on your freebie, but you don’t want to make that the main thing because you end up putting people on your email list and then you’re sent on booking or discovery calls. So if you’re starting out booking your discovery, Is going to be the main goal, but once you’re ready to add another strategy for actually building your email list and you have a little bit of spare money, even if it’s just, you know, two or 300 years a month to start building your email list, then you can definitely start looking at these two options that we have looked at, which is the quiz and the mini course.

But. You’ve probably noticed if you have tried this before, it’s very hard to actually grow your list at any particular speed. If you’re using only organic mediums, because you’re assuming, going to run out of people in your Orbis and in other people’s Facebook groups who actually want to join your list.

So using Facebook ads, or maybe any other type of social ads, really, because you can use Pinterest ads, you can use Twitter ads, you know, there’s different kinds of. I mainly talk about Facebook and Instagram ads because they’re the ones I’ve used the most, but you can actually also use Google ads, which is something that I’m actually experimenting with at the moment.

So you will be hearing more about this in the future. When you talk about Facebook ads, we know that prices have gone up tracking has become a little bit difficult since they’ve added the iOS update. It has become trickier. But you still can have lead ads and I will actually link a place if you don’t know what lead ads are.

I will actually add a link so that you can find out more, but they’re basically ads that allow people to register for your freebie without actually leaving Facebook. And this is a great option. You also have the option of, let’s say, if you have a quiz, you can turn it into a nice post and then you can boost it.

Of course you would need to create your audience before. So that you have, you know, your audience ready there to quickly just add to your boost. And then, you know, you can show your ads to whoever you want, but of course it really helps when your freebie or, you know, your, a free course or your quiz are actually doing the heavy lifting for.

To really warm up your audience in terms of the mini course and in terms of the quiz to really filter. So in fact, you can also combine the strengths of the two and actually filter people through the quiz and then send them the mini course later. So you really filtering people to see, to get the warmest of leads, and then you’re sending them this mini course, which is going to warm them up even further.

So that’s definitely something that you should think. But in terms of Facebook ads, like I mentioned, it’s important to understand that it’s going to be inevitable. So if growing your email list is something you want to do, and again, why would you want to do it as a coach? You want to grow your email list for two main reasons.

Either you want to sell more one-to-one or you want to get people. To actually join your group program may be you’re going to launch a group program. So-and-so obviously you’re going to need more people. And this is the main reason why coaches actually build email lists. They need to have more people.

They need to have more volume in order to book their group coaching programs. But it’s not as easy as that because even just need to put them on your list, you need to warm them up and he needs to make sure that they’re the right. One thing that a lot of people don’t actually tell you is that people who join your email list are much more likely to convert in the first few weeks when they have joined your list.

So, one thing you want to make sure of is that before you actually start building your email list, you work on an email sequence that gets people to do what you want them. This is something I work on with my clients very often because they are looking to book to go to group programs in the future.

So one of the things you need to do is make sure that once, if they’ll know, did your freebie, you are guiding them. They’re either going to go to your one-to-one and you can start off directly from the thank-you page. And then those that don’t book from the thank-you page, and you can actually warm them up further before masking.

Alternatively, you can go to the free training and the free training can be a mini course, or it can be actually something like a challenge or a webinar. So you can then get the people on your email list to get to know you a little bit better and you can offer them one-to-one or you can actually launch your group programs like that.

But one thing you cannot do is ghost your email list. It’s already, statistically does not convert very well. If they have been on your list for a long time. Yeah. So what you want to do is you want to keep your email list, always fresh with new people coming in, and you want to keep doing quite a lot of things, especially if you’re launching, if you don’t have a lot of resources and you’re just dipping your toes in the water and you’re just starting out, but you do want to have group programs.

You can use actually a strategy, which I use. I am not very big on email marketing. At this particular stage, it’s not something that is one of the main priorities in my business, but it is something that is works very well combined with launching your group programs. So you could decide to launch a group program two or three times a year and use this boost, the budget of your group program to actually.

Build your email lists and it kind of works naturally because you’re going to have some free training with your launch. Usually you’re going to have maybe some webinars. You may also want to boost your freebies just before all this activity starts. So that’s, so you can actually combine everything, but you don’t do it, you know, 24 7 all year round, you do it in two or three sprints a year.

So you’re grabbing your list, but you’re also doing it. Okay. Like I mentioned before, like a little bit of a secondary, it’s a bit of a secondary goal. It’s not exactly the main thing. Cause if you’re launching, of course your main goal is going to be to get people, to come to your free trading and to buy your program.

So it’s going to be a secondary goal, which is going to work just. Okay. So I hope you found this useful. I’m pretty sure that you have a lot of questions after listening to this episode. I know that it’s very difficult to cover something like this and in just one episode, and I’m sure there will be more episodes about this in the future.

If you have a specific question and you want to hear something very specific about this topic, feel free to email me on info [at] Stephaniefiteni.com. Or you can go to Stephanie fatina.com/podcast, check out the show notes and you can contact me from there. And of course you can also check out my freebies on all the things that I mentioned today in the episode.

And let me know what you want to hear next. So thank you very much for joining me this week. And I look forward to seeing you in the next episode.

Add A Comment